I'm sitting here listening to Michael Moore on Howard Stern right now when frequent Stern guest- and conservative mouthpiece- Debbie Schlussel called in to debate Moore about "inaccuracies" in his film. 'Course, Moore handed Schlussel her ass. If you do nothing else this weekend, go see "Fahrenheit 9/11", especially you Bush backers out there. That is, if conservatives truly believe in honest discourse on the issues. Otherwise, here we go:
- John Scofield's the headliner, but frankly, he sucks. Head down to Symphony Center for some kick-ass jazz with the Brad Mehldau Trio.
- Prince is recapturing his '80's-early 90's glory days with five shows at the arena formerly known as the Rosemont Horizon. Sorry, no dry-humping of dancers at the shows. He's a Jehovah's Witness now.
- Taste of Chicago opens. I try to avoid it, but this weekend so does the Chicago Country Music Festival, so I have to deal with one to get the other. The Saturday highlights are Buddy Miller and the Flatlanders on the Taste Stage and Rodney Crowell at the Petrillo Bandshell. Speaking as a fan, Buddy Miller is the real fucking deal. And I've always been a long fan of Jimmie Dale Gilmore's Zen Texan personality. (A bit of Trivia: Jimmie Dale Gilmore was "Whitey", the bowler who John Goodman threatened to shoot for stepping over the line in "The Big Lebowski.")
- I almost forgot this is Gay Pride weekend, where queens and bull dykes across the country paint their faces like maniacal sports fans and celebrate their openness. That's just embarrassing. Anyhoo, PrideFest is happening in Boys Town. Expect the usual array of fag hags on stage.
- Lakeview Arts & Music Festival wraps up at Lincoln and Ashland. The lineup is blessedly free of frat house "tribute" bands, but if you are a meathead and need your Dave Matthews fix, The Chicago Afrobeat Project should be right up your alley. They should be afrobeat enough for you without being too "ethnic."
- When Spanish guitar styles collide: Las Guitarras de Espana will help me pay some bills at HotHouse. You aren't getting in to the Magnetic Fields concert, anyway. It's sold out.
Finally, go check this out and buy from t-shirts from Nita.
Have a nice weekend.