Short post today as the drama that I thought was lacking turning 35 is now rolling home in spades five days later. I'm surprised that I'm even thinking of posting this. Guess it's because if I stick to some routine I'll feel better. Anyhoo, check this shit out this weekend:
- Brooklyn descendants of afrobeat godfather Fela Anikulapo Kuti Antibalas head into HotHouse for two sets, 8 p.m. and 11 p.m. The band's live act serves up two hours of car chase music from a lost episode of "Starsky and Hutch."
- Manishevitz kicks things off at the Abbey Pub this evening opening for Beulah. They're getting some comparisons to Roxy Music but prefer the term "space metal" to describe their music. Tell Adam to buy some pants with his gig money.
- Andersonville Midsommer Fest is kicking the serious alt-country jams with Kelly Hogan and Scott Ligon followed by Anna Fermin's Trigger Gospel
- More Alt-Country: Bi-polar hipsters The Handsome Family bring their tales of stuffed squirrels, overdoses, and train-hopping drunks who speak to God to a "secret show" at the Hideout.
- Head on over to the Old Town Art Fair, grab a frosty one and take a drink every time someone talks of how the art "speaks" to them.
- The legendary Swamp Dogg will wreak total destruction to your mind at the Chicago Blues Festival. He'll be playing a set at the Gibson Guitar Crossroads Stage (Jackson and Lake Shore Drive) from 3:30-5 p.m. You can also go on a mullet hunt at Blues Fest.
Have a great weekend. And remember: what doesn't kill you probably should have.