Friday, April 21, 2006

More Friday T'oughts


New Carpet Sales
Originally uploaded by bridgeportseasoning.

I was browsing photographs at Chicagoist Prime's website yesterday. She's been taking a lot of black-and-white shots lately and attributes it to an article on creativity she read. Since I planned on running some personal errands today and would not post to Chicagoist I sent an e-mail to her that I agree with that assessment. I know that for me taking shots in black-and-white has done wonders for developning my eye when I'm taking pictures - I look at something and wonder what it would look like with no color. It's as though by removing the color from a picture you're actually breathing life into it.

Sounds extremely obsequious, I know. But there's something to that. Take a look at the shot above this post, for example. It's a red sign with a few blown lights on Archer. I removed the color and gained a completely different perspective.

Nowadays I'm experimenting with the sepia levels in my Photosuite software to mixed results. I'm also thinking of buying tinted monochrome lenses for the rangefinder to tinker with the contrast when I shoot film. I would not have done this if I hadn't learned to shoot black-and-white.

Have a wonderful weekend, folks.

No comments: