Friday, April 07, 2006

Friday T'oughts


I don't have a problem with organized religion, personally. Just the fringes. To my eye I don't see a difference between an al Qaeda fighter and, say, Ralph Reed. Or Osama bin Laden and Pat Robertson. Or Mullah Omar and Jerry Falwell. Religion has its place in peoples lives if it effects a positive influence. I find myself thinking about it more as I get closer to forty, wondering if there's something after this existence. Where do all my memories, my life experiences, go after I'm gone?

But that's a personal battle I need to grapple with. The theme of this post is religious fundamentalism and how its really nothing more than a carpool lane to damnation. That's why I read this article in the New York Times this morning with a fair amount of interest. It's refreshing to be reminded that there are some churches who don't distort the teachings of Christ for their own personal gain, particularly that sticky "render unto Caesar" bit after Christ cast the moneychangers out of the temple that seems to trip up so many conservatives these days.

No comments: