Monday, March 20, 2006

Troofiness

I was just listening to the President spechify at the City Club of Cleveland on NPR. He hit the usual plot points - the Middle East will be better with Freedom; we're fighting terror over there so we don't have to fight it here; Americans are not cowards; we don't retreat; etc.

It made me think of some words that Vice President Cheney said yesterday, when asked if he would serve out his full second term (of course he will): "I didn't ask for this job (the vice-presidency). I didn't campaign for it. I got drafted."

Odd use of the word "draft" from a man who managed to wrangle five deferments for conscripted military service in Vietnam. A man who said that he didn't serve in Vietnam because he "had other priorities.

Maybe if we had elected him to go to Vietnam he would have served.

No comments: