Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Christ this weather's miserable...

I'm just glad I have central heat for now, 'cause it's a toasty 64 degrees here in the BS command center and we have sleet on the near south side. I'm meeting friends for a screening of "Sideways" later this afternoon so I thought I'd try to get some posting in and work through some writers block at the same time.

I'm quickly meeting my first deadline for the jazz page I'm putting together for About.com. I've been given a template to work with and was instructed to follow it pretty closely, which really brings out the anarchist in me. I impulsively want to do the exact opposite.

It also makes me wish I had applied for the wine expert page, as well.

The other day I was talking to the night floor manager at work who said he had a couple complaints about the new house red wine I bought for the bar. "Maybe you should keep an eye out for these complaints," he asked.

"You only had two complaints about the wine?" I asked.

"Yeah, they didn't like it."

"Two complaints out of how many people in the house?"

"Two hundred ninety-six."

I furrowed my brow. "That's slightly more than one-half percent of the customer base for the evening."

"But they didn't like it."

"What about Friday night? DId anyone return the house red last night?"

He shook his head. "I can't recall."

I shook my head. "I know no one complained on Thursday or Wednesday. So that's two documented complaints in four days."

He finally adjusted his complaint. "Well, I don't like it."

"That's why we have more than one choice of red wine," I answered. "Pick one."

And I wonder why I'm watching "Sideways" this afternoon.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments: