Saturday, December 22, 2007

Week in Review


Laundry Wonderland
Originally uploaded by bridgeportseasoning.

First, something I shared with Tankboy and Our Man in Chicago this week that any comic book fan in the 90's can appreciate: The 40 Worst Rob Liefeld Drawings.

Three weeks into the glamorous world of property tax appeals and I've finally acclimated myself to the change in schedule, from going to bed at 5 a.m. to waking up at 5 a.m. the commute to Evanston and back has forced me to focus on how I utilize my time and energy, especially prudent since I'm not giving up looking for freelance work. So the hours before I head for the train are used for Chicagoist responsibilities, lunch is used for interviewing folks for outstanding jobs, and the time after dinner is used for both. I'm essentially putting in a 14-16 hour day of work. But it's good, it instills discipline.

Speaking of, I've long held a Vox account that I never had any use for until I started interviewing for a editor position for another site that's soon to launch in a few months (I didn't get the job). They wanted to see how I would guide the editorial content of their site, and so asked that I put together what amounts to a day's worth of posts so they could gauge my style.

Anyway, I liked enough of the content I came up with - and the experience of writing in a punchy style that I normally wouldn't write in - that I decided to keep it solely for the purpose of restaurant, bar and other food/drink-related things I find interesting. It'll also be a place where you'll be able to find rough draft versions of much of what I plan on posting to Chicagoist and other places in the near future. Want to take a look at it, click here.

Finally, Chicagoist political beat writer Kevin Robinson has been developing his own Blogger-based site that I think you might find interesting (he also gave me the idea to write about the sordid past of "Northside Chuck" in the immediate future; you won't be disappointed). He asked for an editorial critique of it a while back, but I was just busy with other stuff. So, Kev, in a nutshell: It's ready for its close-up.

No comments: