Thursday, December 23, 2004

More Brass Bra Cold

I've spent the past three days applying weatherstrip to the widows that need them in my apartment. I can qualify both the kitchen and pantry a success: the pantry has gone from "icebox cold" to "tepid" while the kitchen is now toasty. But my office (where I'm typing this now) is a larger challenge.

I have one giant window in the room. Due to all the years of repainting of wood trim and general neglect I'm finding it impossible to cover all the areas where cold air is seeping through. Literally every time I plug one leak another pops up. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and cover the whole window- sill trim, and pane- in a giant sheet of plastic that further keeps light out of the room.

The main motivation is the gas bill, of course. Now that I live in a larger apartment I don't want to be paying $200 for gas bills during the winter- a realistic proposition considering that I have my own hot water tank, forced air, and two fireplaces. I'm just not a fan of the plastic over the windows. If there's a balmy day in February where I can open the windows, I want to be able to do that. With weatherstrip I can.

Life would be so much easier if I had radiator heat.

No comments: